2022-23 Take Me Outside for Learning School Year Challenge
For educators in School Districts 5, 6, 8, 10, 19, 20 & 51 to commit to taking your learning outside at least one day/week!
Registration for this school year is closed. Check back in August for the 2023-2024 school year.
Outdoor Learning Resources
- Pro-D Workshops: To support you in taking your learning outdoors
- Inspiration Handbook: Curricular Ideas & Resources to highlight exemplary practice
- Place-based Video Series: Three place-based videos highlighting exemplary practice
- Activities & Lessons: 65 Activities and Lesson Ideas for Outdoor Learning
- Community Organizations: A searchable directory of over 100 community organizations to connect with
- Tips & Tricks: 52+ tips & tricks for outdoor learning for every season
- Learning Ideas: 100+ great ideas from other teachers for taking your learning outside
- Winter: Outdoor Learning Tips & Tricks for Winter
- Spring: Outdoor Learning Tips & Tricks for Spring
- Resources: Recommended resources for taking your learning outside
- Benefits: Broader benefits of outdoor learning as described by local teachers
- Impacts: A report by Stanford University on the impacts of environmental education for K-12 students
- Research: Illustrates importance for academic, social, emotional and physical success
- Assessment: 20 Fun and Easy Strategies for Assessing Learning Outdoors!
The Bottom Line: NAAEE Environmental Education Research Bulletin
Place-based and community-engaged environmental education can empower students to exercise greater civic agency related to sustainability. This type of experiential pedagogical approach can inspire environmental action, not only among students, but also in surrounding communities. One effective way of engendering successful and sustainable community engagement is through partner organizations that focus on aspects of local, pressing environmental issues, such as river pollution. The combination of place attachment and collaborating with a local group may foster meaningful knowledge and action outcomes for environmental education participants.